UC Entry Level Writing Requirement
All students entering the University of California must demonstrate an ability to write effectively by fulfilling the entry level writing requirement. This requirement may be met in one of seven ways prior to admission:
- by achieving a score of 680 or higher on the Writing section of the SAT Reasoning Test (or SAT II Subject Test in Writing taken prior to June 2004);
- by achieving a score of 30 or higher on the ACT Combined English/Writing test;
- by achieving a score of 3 or higher on the College Board Advanced Placement Examination in English Composition and Literature or English Language and Composition;
- by achieving a score of 5, 6, or 7 on the higher level English A International Baccalaureate Examination;
- by achieving a score of 6 or 7 on the standard level English A1 International Baccalaureate Examination;
- by passing the University of California systemwide Analytical Writing Placement Exam while in high school;
- by earning a grade of C or higher in a course accepted as equivalent to Writing 2.
Students who have not taken the UC systemwide Analytical Writing Placement Exam and who have not met the entry level writing requirement in one of the other ways listed above will be required to take the examination during their first quarter at UCSB (see the Writing Program website for examination time and location). An appropriate score on the examination will satisfy the entry level writing requirement. Only one UC examination may be taken—either the systemwide Analytical Writing Placement Exam while in high school or the examination given at UCSB; and neither may be repeated.
Students whose score is unsatisfactory on the UC analytical writing placement examination (systemwide or campus-based) and who enter UCSB without having satisfied the entry level writing requirement in any other way must enroll in Writing 1, 1E, or 1LK within their first year at UCSB. A grade of C or higher in Writing 1, 1E, or 1LK is needed to satisfy the entry level writing requirement. Students who earn a grade of C- or lower in Writing 1, 1E, or 1LK will be required to repeat the course in successive quarters until the requirement is satisfied. Students who are required to complete English as a Second Language courses may satisfy the Entry Level Writing requirement with a grade of C or higher in Linguistics 12.
Once students matriculate at UCSB, they may not fulfill the entry level writing requirement by enrolling at another institution. Further, transfer courses equivalent to Writing 2 or 50 will not be accepted for unit or subject credit unless the entry level writing requirement has already been met. Students will only be allowed to meet the Area A requirement of the General Education Requirements with courses taken after satisfying the entry level writing requirement. The entry level writing requirement must be completed by the end of the third quarter of matriculation. Students who do not meet this deadline will be blocked from further enrollment at UCSB (ESL students should consult with the Writing Program).