UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

General Rules Applying to Minors

Other Pages In Establishing Residency for Fee Purposes

If you are an unmarried minor (under age 18), the residence of the parent with whom you live is considered your residence. If you have a parent living, you cannot change your residence by your own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian, or by the relinquishment of your parent’s right of control. If you do not live with either parent, your residence is that of the last parent with whom you lived. Unless you are a minor alien present in the U.S. under the terms of a nonimmigrant visa which precludes you from establishing a domicile in the U.S., you may establish your own residence when both of your parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed. If you derive California residence from a parent, that parent must satisfy the 366-day durational requirement.