UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Standards of Scholarship

Students must complete university and departmental requirements in a timely manner to remain in good standing. Only upper-division and graduate courses in which a student earns grades of A, B, C, or S may be applied toward the unit requirements for graduate degrees. In courses specifically required for a program—often called core courses—grades of A or B must be earned for the course to count toward degree requirements. Neither lower-division courses numbered 1-99 nor undergraduate independent study courses numbered 198-199 count toward unit requirements for graduate degrees.

Graduate students are expected to maintain the following standards of academic performance. 

  • Maintain a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.0 to remain in graduate status. (Note that some departments set higher scholarship standards.)
  • Establish a grade point average; a student who does not take courses for a letter grade receives a “0” grade point average.
  • Carry no more than 12 units of Incompletes, No Record, and/or No Grades.

Graduate students must complete coursework and have a grade reported to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the term following the term in which the No Grade, No Record, and/or I grade was reported. If not completed by the deadline, the No Grade, No Record, and/or I grade will be changed automatically to an F, NP, or U as appropriate.

A graduate student will receive written notification from the Graduate Dean if one of the above academic standards have not been met (the department will be copied on this communication). When this happens for the first time, this notification will be considered a warning. The department will be expected to deliver clear, written expectations to the student for demonstrating improvement (a copy of the notification and an academic progress plan will be sent to the Graduate Division).

If the student does not show improvement during the following quarter, the Graduate Dean will ask the department to recommend and justify (a) continued warning status, or (b) academic probation.

If the graduate student continues to have deficiencies in grade point average or incomplete units after the 3rd quarter, the Graduate Dean will (a) notify the student of new or continued academic probation or (b) proceed with academic disqualification, upon consultation with the student’s department.

Note: Additional standards of scholarship are described in the other pages in this section.