UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Exemptions From Nonresident Fee

Other Pages In Establishing Residency for Tuition Purposes
  1. Active Duty Member of U.S. Military, their spouses, registered domestic partner, and dependent children. For additional information and qualifications, contact the Residence Deputy at Residency@sa.ucsb.edu or (805) 893-3033.
  2. Child, Spouse, Registered Domestic Partner of a Faculty Member. To the extent that funds are available, a student who is the unmarried, dependent child under the age of 21, or the spouse, or registered domestic partner of a University of California faculty member who is a voting member of the Academic Senate.
  3. Child, Spouse, Registered Domestic Partner of a University Employee. A student who is the spouse, registered domestic partner, or dependent child of a full-time employee of the University of California who is permanently assigned to work outside the state of California (e.g., Los Alamos National Laboratory).
  4. Child of a Deceased Public Law Enforcement or Fire Suppression Employee. A student who is the child of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee, who was a California resident and was killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties.
  5. Dependent Child of a California Resident. A student who has not been an adult resident of California for more than one year, and is the natural or adopted, dependent child of a California resident who has been a resident for more than one year immediately prior to the residence determination date. The student must also maintain full-time attendance in a California public post-secondary institution.
  6. Graduate of a California School Operated by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (B. I. A.). A student who is a graduate of a California school operated by the B. I. A. (e.g., Sherman Indian High School) and who enrolls at the University of California.
  7. Student Athlete. Any amateur athlete in training at the U. S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California, is entitled to resident classification until he/she has resided in the state the minimum time necessary (366 days) to become a resident.
  8. UC Tuition Exemption for California High School Students. Students enrolled or in the process of enrolling at a University of California campus after January 1, 2002, who attended a high school in California for three or more years, and who graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent), may qualify for an exemption from the nonresident tuition. Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students are eligible to apply for this exemption. For additional information and qualifications, contact the Residence Deputy at (805) 893-3033.
  9. Surviving Dependents of California Residents killed in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks (effective January, 2003).
  10. Recipients of Congressional Medal of Honor and their children under age 27 (effective January, 2003).
  11. California Foster Youth
A student who resides in California and is 19 years of age or under at the time of enrollment (6), who is currently a dependent or ward of the state through California’s child welfare system, or was served by California’s child welfare system and is no longer being served due to emancipation or aging out of the system, shall be entitled to a resident classification as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled (7).

(6) The date the student signs up for classes or pays fees, whichever occurs first.

(7) Continuous attendance- full-time enrollment throughout an academic year at an institution of higher education (i.e., UC, CSU or CCC).