UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Inquiries and Appeals

Other Pages In Establishing Residency for Tuition Purposes

Inquiries regarding residence requirements, determination, and/or recognized exemptions should be directed to:

Residence Deputy, Office of the Registrar
Student Affairs and Administrative Services Building (SAASB) 1105
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2015

Telephone: (805) 893-3033


Office of the General Counsel
Residence Analyst
1111 Franklin Street, 8th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607-5200


No other University personnel are authorized to supply information relative to residence requirements for fee purposes. Students are required to submit all relevant information/documentation supporting a claim of California residency to the campus Residence Deputy. Information requested but not made available to the Residence Deputy in support of an in-state residency request will not be reviewed on appeal. The campus Residence Deputy’s final decision is considered decisive, and a student’s opportunity to appeal the campus decision will be very strictly limited.

Incorrect Classification

If you were incorrectly classified as a resident, you are subject to reclassification and to payment of all unpaid nonresident fees. If you concealed information, or furnished false information and were classified incorrectly as a result, you are also subject to University discipline.

Change of Classification

If you are a continuing student, and wish to change your residence classification from nonresident to resident, you must file a Statement of Legal Residence online at www.registrar.ucsb.edu (under Residency). All changes of classification must be initiated on or before the published deadline as indicated in the Schedule of Classes.