UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Credit From Other Institutions

Other Pages In Selection Criteria

UCSB accepts transferable coursework completed with satisfactory grades at accredited institutions, subject to the limitations described below. Most courses in academic subjects are transferable if UC offers a comparable course. Vocational courses and personal enrichment courses do not qualify for transfer credit. In most cases, UCSB will not grant credit for coursework that students complete at other institutions while they are also enrolled at UCSB.

Lower Division Unit Limitation

Students may earn unit credit for up to 105 quarter units (70 semester units) of UC-transferable lower division coursework from colleges or universities outside of the University of California. Units earned at UC (including regular enrollment, summer session, cross-enrollment, UC Extension and UC-EAP) are not limited, even if they are lower division.

Study Abroad Limitations

Study abroad programs sponsored by institutions and organizations other than the University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP) are of varying quality. In many cases UCSB will not grant credit for completed coursework, even to students who have been issued an official transcript.