UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Credit From Other Institutions

Other Pages In Selection Criteria

UCSB accepts transferable coursework completed with satisfactory grades at accredited institutions, subject to the limitations described below. Many courses in academic subjects are transferable if UC offers a comparable course. Remedial, vocational and personal enrichment courses do not qualify for transfer credit. In most cases, UCSB will not grant credit for coursework that students complete at other institutions while they are also enrolled at UCSB. Visit the UCSB Admissions Transfer Eligibility and Selection page [http://admissions.sa.ucsb.edu/applying/transfer/eligibility-and-selection] and click the button on the right for the “Guide to Course Transferability.”

Lower Division Unit Limitation

Students may earn unit credit for up to 105 quarter units (70 semester units) of UC-transferable lower division coursework from colleges or universities outside of the University of California. Lower division units earned at UC (including regular enrollment, summer session, cross-enrollment, UC Extension and UC-EAP) are typically not limited.

Study Abroad Limitations

Study abroad programs sponsored by institutions and organizations other than the University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP) are of varying quality. In many cases UCSB will not grant credit for completed coursework, even to students who have been issued an official transcript.

Coursework for non-UC programs is generally not pre-approved by UCSB. Students should carefully select their courses and consult with their departmental counselor.

To be eligible for transfer,

  • courses must be academic in nature;
  • the student must obtain a university transcript (SEE NOTE BELOW*);
  • coursework must be similar to that offered at UC;
  • students must receive a “C” equivalent or higher.

Transcript Note*: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their program provides an acceptable transcript. Courses that are not properly transcripted will not transfer. UC will only accept an official, sealed transcript from a degree-granting college or university. The institution must be an accredited US institution of higher learning OR a foreign institution recognized by their ministry of education. All credits must post as the institution’s own degree credit, not as transfer credit.


You must submit an official transcript from the university you attend abroad. Your study abroad transcripts should be requested prior to leaving and will need to be mailed to:

Office of the Registrar
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2015

Once received, your transcript will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions on a course by course basis to determine transfer credit to be awarded. Units are not guaranteed until an official evaluation of your transcript is completed. Courses taken through non-UC study abroad programs do not affect your UC grade point average. Most non-UC programs are semester programs which grant semester credit or credit hours, rather than quarter units, but units will be converted before being applied to your record.

Once the University has received your official transcript, it can take up to 5 months for transfer credit to be processed. Please keep in mind that it may take your program 6-8 weeks to mail a transcript to UCSB.

Petitioning for GE or Major/Minor Credit

Once your transcript has been received and processed, the units will show up in GOLD as transfer credit. At that point, if not already awarded, you may petition for GE credit with your College or credit toward your major/minor with your department.