UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Veterans Benefit Programs

The VA Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is responsible for certifying VA educational benefits to the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) and for financial aid for veterans and dependents. The Financial Aid Office also applies the California College Fee Waiver for eligible students who submit a letter of authorization from the county veteran service office (CVSO).

College Fee Waiver Program

The State of California offers a College Fee Waiver Program to dependents of service-connected disabled or service-related deceased veterans. This program is administered by the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA) and exempts the student from paying quarterly tuition and student services fees. This waiver does not cover student health insurance or campus based fees that all students must pay.

Benefits are awarded on an academic-year basis (fall through summer) and students are required to reapply each year for continued benefits. If you may be eligible to receive these benefits, contact your local County Veterans Service Office (CVSO). Visit the California Department of Veteran Affairs website for further information about the waiver and how to apply.

Once you apply and receive the authorization letter from the CVSO, the letter must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships before it can take effect. The letter should be submitted before the fee payment deadline to avoid late fee penalties. Also be aware that the waiver may affect other forms of financial aid, and a student cannot receive both the waiver and the Cal Grant.

Students intending to claim the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, and whose veteran family member has a pending a disability rating, must file an Intent to Secure VA Disability Rating Petition during the academic years in which the Cal Vet Fee Waiver is expected to cover once the VA’s final rating is issued. The petition allows students to retroactively seek waiver of fees for the quarters covered by the Cal Vet Fee Waiver.

More information regarding the Cal Vet Fee Waiver program, how it affects financial aid and filing a retro waiver petition is located on the Tuition Fee Waiver portion of the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship’s website. Students may also contact veteransbenefits@sa.ucsb.edu.

VA Chapter Benefit Programs

Students who are eligible or are seeking eligibility for VA Chapter benefits should visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website for more information on different benefit types and how to apply to become eligible for benefits through the VA and to receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA.

Once a student receives a COE, they should contact the VA Certifying Official, located in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, to submit the COE and to get further information with additional steps. A student requesting VA benefits must also submit a completed Veterans Benefit Request Form each quarter they wish to receive VA benefits. This is UCSB's request form, indicating a student intends to use their VA benefits for a quarter and that the courses they are taking are applicable for their degree program.

On the Veterans section of the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship’s website, please see the contact and resource section for detailed contact information, the chapter benefit section for detailed benefit information, the general information section for information about the VA Benefit process and procedures at UCSB, and the Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits section for information about financial aid. The Veteran Resource Center is also a valuable resource for additional veteran programs and resources. Students may also contact veteransbenefits@sa.ucsb.edu.