UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Withdrawal Grade

For undergraduate students, the W grade will be assigned when a student withdraws from the university or receives permission to drop a course after the deadline for dropping courses established by the Executive Committee of the college or school in which the student is enrolled. The college or school of student’s enrollment is determined by their academic program, not the college or school of individual courses in which they are enrolled. The W grade will be assigned for each course affected, including graduate courses when an undergraduate student has been approved to enroll in a graduate course and subsequently withdraws. Courses in which a W has been entered on the student’s record will be disregarded in determining a student’s grade-point average and will not be considered as courses attempted in assessing the student’s grade-point average for graduation. W grades are not assigned to graduate students. When graduate students successfully withdraw from a course, it is permanently removed from their transcript.