UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Credit From Other Institutions

Other Pages In Selection Criteria

UCSB accepts transferable coursework completed with satisfactory grades at accredited institutions, subject to the limitations described below. Many courses in academic subjects are transferable if UC offers a comparable course. Remedial, vocational and personal enrichment courses do not qualify for transfer credit. In most cases, UCSB will not grant credit for coursework that students complete at other institutions while they are also enrolled at UCSB. Visit the UCSB Admissions and click the button or the “Guide to Course Transferability.”

Lower Division Unit Limitation

Students may earn unit credit for up to 105 quarter units (70 semester units) of UC-transferable lower division coursework from colleges or universities outside of the University of California. Lower division units earned at UC (including regular enrollment, summer session, cross-enrollment, UC Extension and UC-EAP) are typically not limited.

Study Abroad Limitations

Study abroad programs sponsored by institutions and organizations other than the University of California’s Education Abroad Program (EAP) are of varying quality. In many cases UCSB will not grant credit for completed coursework, even to students who have been issued an official transcript.

Coursework for non-UC programs is generally not pre-approved by UCSB. Students should carefully select their courses and consult with their college or major department advisor.

To be eligible for transfer,

  • courses must be academic in nature;
  • the student must obtain a university transcript (SEE NOTE BELOW*);
  • coursework must be similar to that offered at UC; and
  • students must receive a “C” equivalent or higher.


Submitting transcripts: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their program provides an acceptable transcript. Courses that are not properly transcripted will not transfer. UC will only accept an official, sealed transcript from a degree-granting college or university. The institution must be an accredited US institution of higher learning OR a foreign institution recognized by their ministry of education. All credits must post as the institution’s own degree credit, not as transfer credit.

Students must submit an official transcript from the study-abroad institution attended. Transcripts should be requested prior to leaving mailed to:

Office of Admissions
1210 Cheadle Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2014

Transcripts will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions on a course by course basis. Units are not guaranteed until the Office of Admissions has completed an official evaluation. Courses taken through non-UC study abroad programs do not affect the UC grade point average. Credit awarded from non-UC programs on the semester system will be converted to quarter units when applied to the student's records.

Petitioning for GE or Major/Minor Credit

Students may petition for GE credit through their college, or through their major or minor department for major/minor credit.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

For information on transfer credit, read the guides for Current UCSB Students (PDF) and Non-UC Study Abroad (PDF). For summer programs taught in China, be sure to review the Current Students document prior to enrollment.