UC Santa Barbara General CatalogUniversity of California, Santa Barbara

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grades

Other Pages In Grading System

Graduate students may take graduate courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis provided the course is so offered and their graduate advisor approves. (Courses numbered 200-599 are eligible to be graded S/U, while courses numbered 1-199 are eligible to be graded P/NP.) S grades will be assigned for coursework equivalent to a B or better on the letter-grade basis. U grades will be assigned for work equivalent to a B- or below. In some departments, classes required for the degree must be taken for letter grades. Students electing the S/U grading option should discuss this issue with their graduate advisor.